Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sunrise at Tanjung Rhu Singapore

Well... it had been some time now since I last took sunrise photos and had been hoping to do it... but no one was there to 'accompany' me for the shoot... so the lazy bones in me won the battle and taking sunrise shots remained as a dream. That is until one of the photography clubs that I was in organised a shoot in Tanjung Rhu on 04-May-2013. I was thrilled, I wanted to shoot sunrise shots... and there is a group of people who wanted to do it too.

So I signed up for the shoot.

Then it occurred to me that I needed to get there by six in the morning... I checked the internet... found that the first train from Serangoon would be at 0544hrs... and that is, if everything went on time... in recent days, there had been plenty of train delays and stuff like that. So seriously I am not having much confidence in the train systems. So I bite the bullet and make an advance booking for a cab to pick me up at 0500hrs on the day of the shoot.

The night before, I packed my Canon EOS 7D, a Tokina 12-24mm f4, a Canon EF 70-200mm f4L and a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS lens to my large shoulder bag (a China brand bag - Backpacker BBK-4 which I will do a review soon). I also packed a Yongnuo 565EX flashgun, a NX400 ND filter, some batteries (both for the Yongnuo and my Canon 7D), a 600ml bottle of mineral water, an umbrella, 3 Uncle Toby's energy bars to my bag. Then I pack my trusty old Gitzo to the tripod bag that my bro gave me... and was all set to go.

To cut long story short, I reach my destination safe and sound and had plenty of time spare to wander around. But I shall not bore any of you of the detail of my wandering. Anyway, my group of photography friends arrived on time and we are off to shoot.

 ISO 100, f9, 25sec

The abovementioned shot was a panorama photo comprise of 5 shots (stitched together with the Photoshop CS6).

The sun that day would rise at around 0645hrs to 0648hrs, so we have plenty of time to set up our tripod in a location that we found best suited to our taste. And I choose the area because it had the best view of the indoor stadium with the tower, bridge and some of the buildings in plain view.

ISO 100, f9, 30sec


 ISO 100, f9, 25sec

We waited patiently for the sun to rise... but something tell us that it is not gonna happen that day... the cloud... too many and concentrated are the cloud at the area where the sun should rise.

After 0700hrs... we know it was a failed attempt. Many people are starting to pack up. When suddenly we saw the shy orb peeking out from behind some clouds.

And so we went clicking.

 ISO 100, f16, 1/125sec

 ISO 100, f16, 5sec (added ND filter)

 ISO 100, f16, variable time (HDR compose of 6 photos of different exposure)

So it was not a total lost effort after all. We have a fabulous time and I took quite a number of shots that I liked. Anyway, I also had lots of fun with Photoshopping... especially trying out HDR and Panorama.

Looking forward for more sunrise shots in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment